What's the best CSS grid out there ?
Just my 2 cents...
What a CSS Grid should not do
- It should never, ever have any impact on design. No font styles, sizes, no line heights, no CSS resets, no fancy button styles, nothing.
- It should not depend on JS ! Ever !
- It should not provide anything else than a grid (be it responsive, fluid or fixed).
What a CSS Grid should do
- It should be lightweight. We don't want to add bloat to our designs.
- It should be simple and intuitive. No smarty-pants classes. And by the way, adding a
lastCSS class to a column is perfectly OK. It prevents us from having to use JS for CSS3 specific selectors (like
- It should be easily extendable, if needed.
- It could, optionnaly, provide helper classes like
- Responsive media queries would be great, if only as a starting point.
So, having trouble finding a CSS grid ?
I feel bad for you son. I have 1140 problems, but finding a lightweight, no-fuss, CSS grid ain't one of them.
Enjoyed this post? Grab the RSS feed or follow me on Twitter!
Found a typo ? Correct it, submit a pull-request and get credited here!